Monday, December 6, 2010

Digital, Oral, Written History

Over a year ago I was laid off from a job that I had had for years. It was my third place of employment, and all of the jobs I had held had been offered to me. I had never had to look for a job, and didn't even have a resume. Luck had always been on my side. Well, left shivering out in the cold...ok fine it was June; it was like a bucket of ice water had been dumped on me. I put together a resume and started hitting the craigslist pavement (among many others). 8 months later I was able to find a job willing to take on a student's schedule. It was a huge learning experience; not just about how the job world works but about my family as well.

First, my grandmother is a card sender and phone chatter- email, not so much. I had called to thank her for this beautiful handwritten congrats card she sent me, and she started telling me about her job history. (Her desire to join the war effort, when the people at Arbach's told her she was pretty enough to be an elevator  girl, her job as a lab tech, my grandfather starting in the mail room and working his way to management.)What emerged from this conversation was a look at the people my grandparents had been at my age.

Handwriting can inspire us to imagine a person's character, but their is something about the inflection in a voice that tells us so much more. I have since set out to film whatever memories my Nana wants to share. My grandparents are a living history book, and I thank them for every page.



1 comment:

  1. I lost two jobs in January of this year, both my parents got laid off in 2008 and my mom again earlier this year. My dad is still yet to find a job. He has health complications that give him a difficult schedule to work with. It's really sad to see what unemployment has done to so many people. It's not looking like it will be up anytime soon either, so you're fortunate to have found anything let alone a place that will work with a complicated school schedule. I found work in October, but it's starting to sound like they want me there more and more and it's starting to get complicated with school. Hopefully next semester goes a little smoother. Fingers Crossed *X*.
    I love family history, too. It definitely has the power to inspire you. My grandma has books and books that carry my family name all the way back to the 1400s. There are several gaps of missing information, but where there is information, it tends to be interesting. Good luck with your adventure.

    ReplyDelete